The tales of an American girl living in Hyderbad, India




Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My new hobby

I know, I know... it's been a looooong time since my last post. In that time, I've traveled to Bangkok and Mumbai (once again). Tomorrow I head back to SF for a couple of weeks (sooooo exciting!).

Anyway, this is just a short post about my new hobby, which is 'attempting to board all my flights in India using only the email printout of my flight itinerary'. This will probably come as a surprise to all of you living in the land of Homeland Security, but it's true: In India, you usually don't have to show any form of identification whatsoever at any point from check-in to boarding. You hand them your printed out e-ticket, and that's all you need to get in. I could hand them something that said, 'Macho Man Randy Savage', and 75% of the time I'd have no problems boarding my flight (every so often someone does remember to ask for ID).

Even weirder, I can hand my ticket over to a friend and let them check in on my behalf -- so I don't even have to be PRESENT to get a boarding pass. Who knows. I think only a statistician or security expert could tell us whether all the hoops we pass through in the rest of the world are actually any more effective than the Indian way, but at least they give the semblance of increased safety. Hmm...

Digg!


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Suzie

I am BILIGIRI RANGA, from yderabad, INDIA, doing a write up on '''Expatriates in Hyderabad''' for a city based magazine PRISM, (10+ year old magazine) .

My write up deals with ‘Expats in Hyderabad’’, their impressions about city, their aspirations, suggestions and such like matters.

I am keen to seek your views.

Kindly get in touch with me at
brnugget_6@yahoo.com

waiting for your e mail soon today

Bye
Biligiri Ranga

5:37 AM

 
Blogger workhard said...

Hi, Even the newly opened Hyderabad airport does the same, its amazing.

Poetry directory

3:10 AM

 
Blogger Punit Soni's Adventures in VCland said...

Suzie,
I am a PM at MV coming to HYD for 1 year on expat assignment. Can we get in touch?
punit@goog...
Punit

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Niki said...

hey,
i was trying to complete my travel piece on hyderabad, and i came across your blog. it's really wonderful btw. i visited hyderabad for 3 days and i loved it. i hope you like it too. keep up the good work!
Nishtha

12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy very cool [url=http://www.auoksunglasses.com]oakley holbrook[/url] blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also??I'm glad to search out numerous useful info right here [url=http://www.auoksunglasses.com]oakley sunglasses australia[/url] ,in the submit, we'd like work out more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

2:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home