The tales of an American girl living in Hyderbad, India




Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Kerala backwaters

I'd been looking forward to taking a cruise down Kerala's famous backwaters for some time. National Geographic rates it as one of the '50 Places of a Lifetime'. Unfortunately, a couple factors curtailed my ability to really do it 'right' (e.g., limited time, my sole co-passenger being an obnoxious bigot). Still, I'm glad I got a taste of the backwaters and I hope I have the chance to return and go on a canoe down the smaller canals:



Or on a houseboat:



I took a ferry boat down the major canal from Kollam to Alleppey from 10:30AM - 6:30PM. The boat stopped twice -- once for lunch and once for tea accompanied by deep fried bananas, deep fried onions, and a deep fried pastry.

Along the banks of the canal you can catch interesting glimpses into backwater village life (I think I may have grabbed that phrasing verbatim from Lonely Planet while re-reading the 'Kerala backwater' section repeatedly):







One of the best moments was when a large fishing boat pulled up next to my boat and a bunch of brightly dressed fishermen stared at us intensely:



Eventually sunset rolled around and I knew my cruise had come to an end. As the honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger says, though, "I'll be back..."



Labels: , ,

Digg!


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i could go on a long trip to kerala. I have been out of my homestate for many yrars but now the very thought of the heat and sweat is making me enjoy my beloved country from afarand thru the experiences of the other travellers

12:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hai friend..
thanks for give us some nice pictures.expecting some more pictures of our own kerala

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Prince John said...

Hi Suzie,

I love it when someone says Kerala is splendid. Real nice description and really nice photographs, I love them.

Prince John

3:06 AM

 
Blogger ജെ പി വെട്ടിയാട്ടില്‍ said...

very interesting to learn this trip. i should also make similar trips and enjoy the backwaters of our state.

3:24 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Houseboat of Kerala is a interesting spot in kerala. Tourists to kerala come only to see floating houseboat on backwater. Visit to kerala has a lot to offer its tourists.
Kullu Manali

11:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home