The tales of an American girl living in Hyderbad, India




Monday, October 16, 2006

Mopeds are awesome

The best part of our trip involved riding mopeds out to the famed 'Monkey Temple', which was the only thing Keyon wanted to see in Hampi so he could live out a childhood fantasy of feeding monkeys bananas. This obsession worked out well for the rest of us, because the whole experience was incredible.

Luckily for me, Tina is an experienced moped driver so all I had to do was sit on the back and enjoy the ride. Here we are as we set out on our journey:



We took several wrong turns on the way to the monkey temple, but that just resulted in seeing many more sites:



Here are Sohna and Tanja looking very chic when we hit a dead end at the river -- notice the temples in the backdrop:



We did have to cross the river; just not right there. Once we found the crossing station, we took boats made of woven bamboo with some kind of waterproofed tarp coating them.



I was incredulous that these boats could float safely across with people in them, let alone 3 motorcycles. But hey, India never ceases to amaze me:



Tanja and I got across first since we didn't have to deal with the mopeds. Here I am hanging out with a Hampian I met. We matched ;)



Once we were all across, we took a few more wrong turns and ended up seeing some amazing relics of past civilization. At one time, Hampi was a thriving 500,000 person city:





Thanks to Tina's frequent stops for directions, we did reach the monkey temple. Fulfillment of a dream!



The view from the top of the Monkey temple, 530 steps up I think someone told us, was spectacular. We could see all the places we'd made wrong turns throughout the day -- all rock formations, the temples, the Queen's Bath.





I have to hand it to Keyon, the monkeys were very cute. Although after I witnessed a huge greedy monkey violently tear the bag of bananas from him, I was kind of scared of them. I thought they might rip away my camera. But the little ones were adorable. I can also confirm the stereotype -- monkeys really do love bananas:









The road back:



On the way back across the river, it was nearing sunset and all the colors were rich and vibrant. After climbing 500 steps, riding a moped through the jungle all day, and seeing structures that had been around for thousands of years, I felt very content and this couple silently laying out their fishing nets just seemed particularly beautiful:

Labels: , ,

Digg!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzie,

Happy Birthday...a day late!

Pictures are fabulous...bet your Mom was glad she did not see you crossing in that "boat."

Barbara W.

9:42 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I want a pet monkey.

11:29 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there,
Me and my sister are planning to visit Hampi and hire a scooter. Did you guys go all the way to Malyavanta Hills temple? Wondering how the roads were uphill? Did you guys switch off the engine downhill? Regards, Kusum

1:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home